Dr Claire J Bates
Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
BOS VLE – www.bosvle.org.uk
Please complete the following modules from the National Orthodontic Programme as self directed learning; you should print out or save the information for your reference. There are also self tests contained within each module that you should make use of.
You should refer to the Learning Aims and Outcomes for the module and you may wish to get together as a group to discuss important topics.
Module 1: Cell and Molecular Biology with Genetics
Module 2: Craniofacial Embryology
Module 3/8: Somatic and Craniofacial Growth
Module 26: Craniofacial Anomalies
Alappat S, Zhang ZY, Chen YP (2003) Msx homeobox gene family and craniofacial development, Cell Research13: 429-442.
Bjork A & Skieller V (1983) Normal and abnormal growth of the mandible. A synthesis of longitudinal cephalometri implant studies over a period of 25 years, European journal of orthodontics.5: 1-46.
Cobourne MT. (2000). Construction of the modern head: current concepts in craniofacial development, Journal of orthodontics., 27: 307-14.
Mills JRE. (1983) A clinician looks at facial growth, British journal of orthodontics.10: 58-72.
Solow B, Houston WJB. (1988) Mandibular rotations: concept and terminology, European journal of orthodontics.10: 369-373.
Thorogood P. & Ferretti P. (1992). Heads and tales: recent advances in craniofacial development, British dental journal., 173: 301-306.
Please also read the relevant chapters in the following textbooks:
1. Proffit WR, Chapters 2, 3 and 4. Contemporary Orthodontics. Mosby Elsevier, 2007.
2. Mitchell L. An Introduction to Orthodontics 3 rd ed. Oxford , 2006: 29-41.
3. Sperber GH, ed. Craniofacial development . BC Decker Inc: London, 2001.
4. Obwegeser HL, ed. Mandibular growth anomalies : terminology, aetiology, diagnosis, treatment . Springer: London, 2001.
5. Meikle MC, ed. Craniofacial development, growth and evolution . Bateson Publishing: Bressingham, 2002.
6. Ward Booth P, Schendel SA, Hausamen J-E, eds. Maxillofacial Surgery . Elsevier: Philadelphia, 2007.
This list was last updated on 20/12/2011