Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
* = Most recommended
* NEILLY, E. 2009. University of Leeds Library subject guide for Medicine . Available from: http://library.leeds.ac.uk/medicine
School of Medicine & Dentistry. 2009. Guide to doing a literature review. James Cook University. Available from:
* RIDLEY, D. 2008. The literature review : a step-by-step guide for students . London: Sage.
AVEYARD, H. 2007. Doing a literature review in health and social care : a practical guide . Maidenhead: Open University Press.
BOLDERSTON, A. 2008. Writing an effective literature review. Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences , 39, 86-92. Available as an online course reading in the VLE .
FINK, A. 2005. Conducting research literature reviews : from the internet to paper . London: Sage Publications.
HART, C. 1998. Doing a literature review : releasing the social science research imagination . London: Sage.
Reading and critical review
BERKELEY LIBRARY. 2008. Critical evaluation of resources. University of California. Available from: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/instruct/guides/evaluation.html
DHANN, S. 2001. Note taking skills - from lectures and readings. University of Exeter: Department of Lifelong Learning. Available from: http://education.exeter.ac.uk/dll/studyskills/note_taking_skills.htm
GOSALL, N.K, GOSALL, G.S. 2009. The doctor's guide to critical appraisal . Cheshire: PasTest.
* GREENHALGH, T. 2010. How to read a paper: the basics of evidence based medicine . 4th edition. Chichester: Wiley Blackwell
SOLUTIONS FOR PUBLIC HEALTH. 2010. Critical appraisal skills programme. Available from: http://www.sph.nhs.uk/what-we-do/public-health-workforce/resources/critical-appraisals-skills-programme
* SKILLS@LIBRARY. 2009. Speed reading; Reading with understanding; Taking notes while reading . Available from: http://skills.library.leeds.ac.uk/topic_reading.php
* SKILLS@LIBRARY. 2009. Writing skills . Available from: http://skills.library.leeds.ac.uk/topic_writing_skills.php
Burnard, P. 2004. Writing skills in health care . Cheltenham: Nelson Thornes.
GILLETT, A. 2009. Academic writing: writing paragraphs. Using English for academic purposes: a guide for students in higher education. Available from: http://www.uefap.com/writing/parag/parafram.htm
CENTRE FOR EXCELLENCE IN LEARNING AND TEACHING. 2009. Better report writing for University students. Higher Education Academy. Available from: http://www.learnhigher.ac.uk/learningareas/reportwriting/betterreportwriting.htm
MORLEY, J. 2005. Academic phrasebank . University of Manchester. Available from: http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/
WILLIAMS, D. 2002. Writing skills in practice : a practical guide for health professionals . London: Jessica Kingsley.
* SANDARS, J. 2009. The use of reflection in medical education. AMEE Guide No. 44. Medical teacher. , 31(8).
SOBRAL, D.T. 2000. An appraisal of medical students’ reflection-in-learning. Medical education. , 34, 182–187.
TATE, S., SILLS, M. 2004. The development of critical reflection in the health professions . London: Higher Education Academy, Health Sciences and Practice Subject Centre
This list was last updated on 29/09/2011