Dr Caroline Starkey
Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
- Week 1 (14): Introduction
- Week 2 (15): Feminism and Sacred Texts
- Week 3 (16) Post Colonialism and Post Secularism
- Week 4 (17):Masculinity
- Week 5 (18): LGBT and Queer Studies
- Week 6 (19):Ordination and Leadership
- Week 7 (20): Reproductive Rights
- Week 8 (21) Reading Week
- Week 9 (22): LGBTQI+: Homonationalism and Heteronationalism
- Week 10 (23): Transgender Identities and Rights
- Other suggested reading General – feminism, gender and religion
- Asian Religious Traditions
- ‘New Spiritualities’
- Religious Fundamentalisms and Women
- Gender, Religion and Development
Week 1 (14): Introduction
- Lyn Thomas and Avtar Brah (2011) ‘Editorial’ Feminist review., 97(1): 1–4.
- Barbara Einhorn (2008), ‘Editorial’, The European journal of women's studies. 15(3): 155-164.
- Dubravka Zarkov (2015), ‘Reflections on Faith and Feminism’, The European journal of women's studies. 22(1): 3-6.
- Anne-Marie Korte (2011), ‘Openings: A Genealogical Introduction to Religion and Gender’, Religion and gender. ISSN: 1878-5417 1(1), 1-17
Week 2 (15): Feminism and Sacred Texts
Rachel Muers, Randi Rashkover and Ayesha S. Chaudhry, ‘Women Reading Texts on Marriage’, Feminist theology. 17/2 (2009)
o For additional material on approaches to the Qur’an texts discussed, see Ayesha S. Chaudhry, ‘ “I Wanted One Thing and God Wanted Another…”: The Dilemma of the Prophetic Example and the Qur’anic Injunction on Wife-Beating’, Journal of religious ethics.39/3 (2011), pp. 416-439.
- Alice Bach, ‘Introduction’ in Alice Bach ed. Women in the Hebrew Bible : a reader (Routledge, 1999), pp. xiii-xxvi.
- Asma Barlas, "Believing women" in Islam : unreading patriarchal interpretations of the Qur'ān ISBN: 0292709048 (pbk); 029270903X (hbk)
Week 3 (16) Post Colonialism and Post Secularism
Kwok, Pui-Lan (2002): ‘Unbinding our Feet: saving brown women and feminist religious discourse’. In Laura E. Donaldson and Kwok Pui-lan (eds): Postcolonialism, feminism and religious discourse. New York and London: Routledge. Chapter 1.
Niamh Reilly (2011) ‘Rethinking the interplay of feminism and secularism in a neo-secular age’ Feminist review. 97(1): 5–31.
Useful overview of issues relevant to this seminar and the following one: Sara Salem, ‘Feminist critique and Islamic feminism: the question of intersectionality’, The Postcolonialist 1/1: http://postcolonialist.com/civil-discourse/feminist-critique-and-islamic-feminism-the-question-of-intersectionality/
Shahra Razavi and Anne Jenichen (2010) ‘An Introduction. The Unhappy Marriage of Religion and Politics: Problems and Pitfalls for Gender Equality’ Third world quarterly. 31:6, 8333-850.
Moira Dustin (2012) ‘Deference or Interrogation?: Contrasting Models for Reconciling Religion and Gender Equality’, Religion and gender. 2/1
Further suggested reading:
· Sian Hawthorne, ‘Displacements: Religion, Gender and the Catechrestic Demands of Postcoloniality’, Religion and gender. 3/2 (2013)
Week 4 (17):Masculinity
- Björn Krondorfer and Stephen Hunt (2012). ‘Introduction: Religion and Masculinities – Continuities and Change’, Religion and Gender 2(2), 194–206. https://www.religionandgender.org/articles/abstract/10.18352/rg.7201/
- As second reading, choose EITHER:
- Adriaan van Klinken, ‘Male Headship as Male Agency: An Alternative Understanding of a “Patriarchal” African Pentecostal Discourse on Masculinity’, in Religion and Gender 1/1 (2011), 104-124. http://www.religionandgender.org/index.php/rg/article/view/19/22
- OR Halkano Abdi Wario, ‘Reforming Men, Refining Umma: Tablīghī Jamā‛at and Novel Visions of Islamic Masculinity’, Religion and gender. ISSN: 1878-5417 2/2 (2012), 231–253. https://www.religionandgender.org/articles/abstract/10.18352/rg.7202/
Further suggested reading:
- Björn Krondorfer (ed.) Men and masculinities in Christianity and Judaism : a critical reader, London: SCM Press 2009
- Amanullah De Sondy, The crisis of Islamic masculinities ISBN: 9781780936161 (hbk.) : £65.00. London: Bloomsbury 2013.
- Adriaan van Klinken, ‘Masculinities and the Male God’, in Sian Hawthorne (ed.), Gender : god ISBN: 9780028663173 (hardcover); 9780028663258 (ebook) (Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbooks: Gender series), Farmington Hills, MI Macmillan Reference USA 2017, 17-30.
Week 5 (18): LGBT and Queer Studies
- Melissa Wilcox, ‘Queer Theory and the Study of Religion’, in Donald L. Boisvert and Jay Emerson Johnson, eds., Queer religion ISBN: 9780313353581; 9780313353598 (ebook); 031335359x (ebook), volume 2: LGBT Movements and Queering Religion. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger 2012, pp. 227-253
- Gabeba Baderoon, ‘“I Compose Myself”: Lesbian Muslim Autobiographies and the Craft of Self-Writing in South Africa’, Journal of the American Academy of Religion. ISSN: 0002-7189 83:4 (2015), 897-915.
Further suggested readings
- Boisvert, Donald L., and Jay Emerson Johnson, eds. 2012. Queer religion ISBN: 9780313353581; 9780313353598 (ebook); 031335359x (ebook) (Vol. 2): LGBT Movements and Queering Religion. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Cornwall, Susannah. 2011. Controversies in queer theology ISBN: 9780334043553 (pbk.) : No price; 0334043557 (pbk.) : No price. London: SCM Press.
- Hunt, Stephen. 2009. Contemporary Christianity and LGBT sexualities ISBN: 9780754676249 (hardback : alk. paper); 0754676242 (hardback : alk. paper). Farnham and Burlington: Ashgate.
- Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle. 2013. Living out Islam : voices of gay, lesbian, and transgender Muslims ISBN: 9781479894673 (pbk.); 9780814744482 (hbk.). New York: NY University Press.
Week 6 (19):Ordination and Leadership
- Tomalin, E. 2006. The Thai Bhikkhuni Movement and Women’s Empowerment. Gender and development.. 14, 3, 385-397.
- Page, S.-J., (2016). Altruism and Sacrifice: Anglican Priests Managing ‘Intensive’ Priesthood and Motherhood. Religion and gender. ISSN: 1878-5417. 6(1), pp.47–63 – available from: https://www.religionandgender.org/articles/abstract/10.18352/rg.10127/
Week 7 (20): Reproductive Rights
Juan Marco Vagionne (2015) The Catholic Church, contemporary sexual politics and development in Latin America. In Emma Tomalin (ed) The Routledge handbook of religions and global development ISBN: 9780415836364 hardback; 9781135045715 ebook. London and New York: Routledge. Chapter 12.
Jane H. Bayes and Nayereh Tohidi 2001: Globalization, gender and religion : the politics of women's rights in Catholic and Muslim contexts ISBN: 0333947045; 0312228120; 0312293690. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
See special issue of the journal Gender and development. ISSN: 1355-2074, Reproductive rights: current challenges, Volume 16, Issue 2, 2008.
Week 8 (21) Reading Week
Week 9 (22): LGBTQI+: Homonationalism and Heteronationalism
- Sian Hawthorne and Ulrike Auga (2017). ‘Homonationalism and the Challenge of Queer Theology’, in Sian Hawthorne (ed.), Gender : god ISBN: 9780028663173 (hardcover); 9780028663258 (ebook) (Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbooks: Gender series), Farmington Hills, MI Macmillan Reference USA, 367-383. OCR REQUESTED BY LIBRARY (MAA 04/01/2018
- Mihai Tarta, ‘European Culture Wars: Sexual Nationalism between Euro-Christian and Euro-Secular Civil Religion in Poland and Romania’, in Srdjan Sremac and R. Ruard Ganzevoort (eds.), Religious and sexual nationalisms in central and eastern Europe : Gods, gays and governments. ISBN: 9789004297791 (e-book). Leiden: Brill 2015, 33-51.
Further suggested readings:
- Jasbir K. Puar. 2007. Terrorist assemblages : homonationalism in queer times ISBN: 082234114X (pbk. : alk. paper); 9780822340942 (cloth : alk. paper); 0822340941 (cloth : alk. paper); 9780822341147 (pbk. : alk. paper). Durham: Duke University Press.
- Jasbir K. Puar. 2014. ‘Reading religion back into Terrorist Assemblages: Author's response’, Culture and religion. ISSN: 1475-5610; 1475-5629 15:2, pp. 198-210.
- Srdjan Sremac and R. Ruard Ganzevoort (eds.), Religious and sexual nationalisms in central and eastern Europe : Gods, gays and governments. ISBN: 9789004297791 (e-book). Leiden: Brill 2015.
- Adriaan van Klinken (2014). ‘Homosexuality, Politics and Pentecostal Nationalism in Zambia’, Studies in world Christianity. ISSN: 1354-9901; 1750-0230 20/3, 259-281.
Week 10 (23): Transgender Identities and Rights
- Jakob Hero, ‘Towards a Queer Theology of Flourishing: Transsexual Embodiment, Subjectivity, and Moral Agency’ in Donald L. Boisvert and Jay Emerson Johnson, eds., Queer religion ISBN: 9780313353581; 9780313353598 (ebook); 031335359x (ebook), volume 2: LGBT Movements and Queering Religion. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger 2012, pp. 143-166.
- Jennifer Ung Loh, ‘Divine Imaginaries and Transgender Subjects’, in Sîan Melvill Hawthorne, ed, Gender : god ISBN: 9780028663173 (hardcover) (Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbooks Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA, 2017), 143-158.
Further suggested readings
- Marcella Althaus-Reid and Lisa Isherwood, eds. Trans/formations ISBN: 9780334043430 (pbk.) : No price; 0334043433 (pbk.) : No price (Controversies in Contextual Theology). London: SCM Press 2009.
- Christina Beardsley and Michelle O'Brienn, eds. This is my body : hearing the theology of transgender Christians ISBN: 9780232532067 (pbk.) : £14.99. Darton Longman & Todd 2016
- Judith J. Halberstam, In a queer time and place : transgender bodies, subcultural lives ISBN: 0814735851 (pbk. : alk. paper); 0814735843 (cloth : alk. paper). New York: New York University Press 2005.
Other suggested reading
General – feminism, gender and religion
- Anderson, Pamela Sue 1998: A feminist philosophy of religion : the rationality and myths of religious belief. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Carroll, Theodora Foster 1983: Women, religion, and development in the Third World. New York Eastbourne: Praeger.
- Cooey, Paula M., William R. Eakin, Jay B. McDaniel (eds) 1998: After patriarchy: feminist transformations of the world religions. Oxford, Mass: Blackwell.
-Daly, Mary 1973: Beyond God the Father : towards a philosophy of women's liberation
- Eck, Diana L. and Devaki Jain (eds) 1986: Speaking of faith : cross-cultural perspectives on women, religion and social change. London: Women's Press.
-Goldenberg, Naomi R. 1979: Changing of the gods : feminism and the end of traditional religions. Boston, Mass: Beacon Press.
- Gross, Rita M. (ed.)1977: Beyond androcentrism : new essays on women and religion Missoula, Mont: Scholars Press for the American Academy of Religion,
-Holme, Jean and John Bowker (eds) 1994: Women in Religion. Pinter.
- Haddad, Yvonne Yazbeck and Ellison Banks Findly (eds) 1985: Women, religion, and social change Albany: State University of New York Press.
-Holden, Pat (ed.) 1983: Women's religious experience. London: Croom Helm.
-Jantzen, Grace 1998: Becoming divine : towards a feminist philosophy of religion. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Joy, Morny et al ed. 2002: French feminists on religion
- King, Ursula 1987: Women in the world's religions, past and present. New York: Paragon House.
- King, Ursula 1993: Women and spirituality: voices of protest and promise. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
-King, Ursula (ed.) 1995: Religion and gender Oxford: Blackwell.
-Joseph, Alison 1990: Through the devil's gateway : women, religion and taboo London: SPCK in association with Channel Four Television.
- Knott, Kim 1994: Women and religion in post-war Britain. In Parsons, G. (ed) The growth of religious diversity : Britain from 1945, vol. II. London: Routledge.
-Manning, Christel 1999: God gave us the right : conservative Catholic, Evangelical Protestant, and Orthodox Jewish women grapple with feminism New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
-Pui-Lan, Kwok and Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza (eds) 1998: Women's sacred scriptures. London: SCM Press.
- Sharma, Arvind (ed.) 1987: Religion and women. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Sharma, Arvind (ed.) 1994: Women in world religions. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Sharma, Arvind (ed.) 1994: Today's woman in world religions Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Walker, Alice 1984: In search of our mothers' gardens : womanist prose London: The Women’s Press.
- Young, Serenity (ed) 1999: Encyclopedia of women and world religion New York: Macmillan Reference USA.
-Young, Serenity (ed) 1993: An anthology of sacred texts by and about women London: Pandora.
- Althaus-Reid, Marcella 2004: From feminist theology to indecent theology : readings on poverty, sexual identity and God
- Aquino, M.P. D. L. Muchado and J. Rodriguez, eds. 2002: A reader in Latina feminist theology : religion and justice
- Armour, Ellen T. 1999: Deconstruction, feminist theology, and the problem of difference : subverting the race/gender divide
- Beattie, Tina 2006: New Catholic feminism : theology and theory
- Cannon, Katie 1988: Black womanist ethics
- Fiorenza, Elisabeth Schüssler 1992: But She said : feminist practices of biblical interpretation
- Grant, Jacquelyn 1989: White women's Christ and black women's Jesus : feminist christology and womanist response (Atlanta, Georgia: Scholars Press)
- Hampson, Daphne 1996: After Christianity
- Hogan, Linda 1995: From women's experience to feminist theology
- Isherwood, Lisa 2001: Introducing feminist christologies
- Parsons, Susan F. 2002: The ethics of gender
- Parsons, Susan F. ed. 2000: Challenging women's orthodoxies in the context of faith
- Ruether, Rosemary Radford 1983: Sexism and God-talk
- Ruether, Rosemary Radford 1988: Women-church : theology and practice of feminist liturgical communities
- Sawyer, Deborah F. and D. M. Collier, eds. 1999: Is there a future for feminist theology?
- Schroer, S. and S. Bietenhard, eds. 2003: Feminist interpretation of the Bible and the hermeneutics of liberation
- Schumacher, M.M. ed. 2004: Women in Christ : toward a new feminism
- Thistlethwaite, Susan 1989: Sex, race and God : Christian feminism in black and white
- Williams, Delores S. 1993 Sisters in the wilderness : the challenge of womanist God-talk Maryknoll: Orbis.
-Alpert, Rebecca 1997: Like bread on the seder plate : Jewish lesbians and the transformation of tradition. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Aschkenasy, Nehama 1994: Eve's journey : feminine images in Hebraic literary tradition Detroit: Wayne State University Press.
-Bar-Ilan, Meir 1998: Some Jewish women in antiquity Atlanta, Ga: Scholars Press.
- Baskin, Judith R. (ed) 1998: Jewish women in historical perspective Detroit, Mich: Wayne State University Press.
- Bird, Phyllis A. Phyllis Ann 1997: Missing persons and mistaken identities : women and gender in ancient Israel. Minneapolis, Minn: Fortress Press.
- Cantor, Aviva 1995: Jewish women / Jewish men : the legacy of patriarchy in Jewish life New York: HarperSanFrancisco.
- Cohen, Aryeh 1998: Rereading Talmud : gender, law, and the poetics of sugyot Atlanta, Ga: Scholars Press.
- Davidman, Lynn & Shelly Tenenbaum (eds) 1994: Feminist perspectives on Jewish studies. New Haven London: Yale University Press.
- Greenberg, Blu 1981: On women & Judaism : a view from tradition Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America.
- Heschel, Susannah 1995: On being a Jewish feminist New York: Schocken Books.
- ‘Current Issues in Jewish Feminist Theology’, Christian Jewish relations. 19:2.
- Hyman, Paula E. and Deborah Dash Moore (eds) 1997 : Jewish women in America : an historical encyclopedia New York, London: Routledge.
- Jackson,Glenna (1998) ‘Jesus as a First-Century Feminist: Christian anti-Judaism? ’ Feminist theology 7: 85 pp. 85-98
- Jewish Women in London Group 1989: Generations of memories : voices of Jewish women London: Women's Press.
- von Kellenbach, K (1994) Anti-Judaism in feminist religious writings, Atlanta: Scholars Press
- Levitt, Laura 1997: Jews and feminism : the ambivalent search for home New York London: Routledge.
- Litchfield, Sara (2010) ‘Feminist Theology and the Holocaust’, Feminist theology, 18:3 pp.332-340
- Matthews, Victor H., Bernard M. Levinson and Tikva Frymer-Kensky (eds) 1998: Gender and law in the Hebrew Bible and the ancient Near East Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.
- Neusner, Jacob, 1998: How the rabbis liberated women Atlanta, Ga: Scholars Press.
- Peskowitz, M and Levitt, L (eds) (1997) Judaism since gender, London: Routledge
- Plaskow, Judith 1991 : Standing again at Sinai : Judaism from a feminist perspective. New York: HarperSanFrancisco.
- Raphael, M (2003) The female face of God in Auschwitz : a Jewish feminist theology of the Holocaust, London: Routledge
- Rudavsky. T.M. (ed) 1995: Gender and Judaism : the transformation of tradition. New York London: New York University Press.
- Schmool, Marlena 1994: Women in the Jewish community : survey report. London: Women in the Community.
- Sered, Susan Starr 1992: Women as ritual experts : the religious lives of elderly Jewish women in Jerusalem. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Umansky, E. 1984: Creating a Jewish Feminist Theology: possibilities and problems. Anima. 10: 1.
- Umansky, Ellen M. and Dianne Ashton (eds) 1992: Four centuries of Jewish women's spirituality : a sourcebook. Boston: Beacon.
- Ahmed, Leila 1992: Women and gender in Islam : historical roots of a modern debate. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Awde, Nicoloas (ed) 1998: Women in Islam : an anthology from the Quran and Hadith Richmond, Surrey: Curzon.
- Bodman, Herbert L. and Nayereh Tohidi (eds) 1998: Women in Muslim societies : diversity within unity. Boulder, Colo. London: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- Cooke, Miriam 2002: ‘Multiple Critiques: Islamic Feminist Rhetorical Strategies’ .In Laura E. Donaldson and Kwok Pui-lan (eds) 2002: Postcolonialism, feminism and religious discourse. Routledge: NewYork and London. Chapter 6.
- Haddad, Yvonne Yazbeck and John L. Esposito (eds) 1998: Islam, gender, & social change. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Jawad, H. A. Haifaa A. 1998: The rights of women in Islam : an authentic approach. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Mernissi, Fatima 1975: Beyond the veil: male-female dynamics in modern Muslim society. Cambridge, Mass: Schenkman Pub. Co. New York.
- Mernissi, Fatima, 1991: Women and Islam : an historical and theological enquiry. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Mernissi, Fatima 1996: Women's rebellion & Islamic memory. Atlantic Highlands. N.J: Zed Books.
- Mir-Hosseini, Ziba 1993: Marriage on trial : a study of Islamic family law : Iran and Morocco compared. London: Tauris.
- Mir-Hosseini, Ziba 1999: Islam and gender: the religious debate in contemporary Iran. Princeton, N.J. Chichester: Princeton University Press.
- Roald, Anne Sofie 2001: Women in Islam : the Western experience. London: Routledge
- Roded, Ruth (ed) 1999 : Women in Islam and the Middle East: a reader. London: I.B.Tauris.
- Yamani, Mai (ed) 1996: Feminism and Islam : legal and literary perspectives. Reading: Ithaca Press for Centre of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
Asian Religious Traditions
- Bacchetta, Paola 1993: All Our Goddesses Are Armed: Religion, Resistance, and Revenge in the Life of a Militant Hindu Nationalist Woman. Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars, Vol. 25, 1993.
- Boucher, Sandy 1993: Turning the wheel : American women creating the new Buddhism. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Coburn, Thomas B. 1984: Dev+ -mhtmya : the crystallization of the goddess tradition. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.
- Vidya Dehejia 1999 Devi, the great goddess : female divinity in South Asian art Munich London: Prestel.
- Erndl, Kathleen M. 1993: Victory to the mother : the Hindu goddess of northwest India in myth, ritual, and symbol. New York Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Gross, Rita M. 1993: Buddhism after patriarchy : a feminist history, analysis, and reconstruction of Buddhism. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1993.
- Gross, Rita M. 1996: Buddhism and Feminism: toward their mutual transformation. The eastern Buddhist., New Series, XIX: I.
- Hawley, 1994: Sati, the blessing and the curse : the burning of wives in India. New Yrk, Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- Kabilsingh, Chatsumarn 1991: Thai women in Buddhism Berkeley, Calif: Parallax Press.
- Kinsley, David R. David Robert 1975: The sword and the flute : Kl+ and Krsna, dark visions of the terrible and the sublime in Hindu mythology Berkeley London: University of California Press.
- Kinsley, David R. David Robert 1986: Hindu goddesses : visions of the divine feminine in the Hindu religious tradition Berkeley London: University of California Press.
- Kinsley, David R. 1989 : The goddesses' mirror : visions of the divine from East and West Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Leslie, Julia 1989: The perfect wife : the orthodox Hindu woman according to the Str+ dharmapaddhati of Tryambakayajvan Delhi, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Leslie, Julia (ed) 1991: Roles and rituals for Hindu women. Rutherford: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press.
- Mani, Lata 1998: Contentious Traditions, The Debate on Sati in Colonial India. Berkeley London: University of California Press.
- Mitter, Sara S. 1991: Dharma's daughters : contemporary Indian women and Hindu culture. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
- Mookerjee, Ajit 1988: Kali : the feminine force. London: Thames and Hudson.
- Pancholi, Nirmala 1993: The role and contribution of women in the Hindu Swaminarayan sampradaya, with particular reference to the Akshar Purushottam Sanstha. [Leeds].
- Pintchman, Tracy 1994: The rise of the Goddess in the Hindu tradition. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Sen, Mala Death by fire : sati, dowry death and female infanticide in modern India (2001)
- Sharma, Arvind 1988: Sati : historical and phenomenological essays. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.
- Shaw, Miranda Eberle 1994: Passionate enlightenment: women in Tantric Buddhism. Princeton, N.J: Princeton University Press.
- Singh, Nikky-Guninder Kaur 1993: The feminine principle in the Sikh vision of the transcendent. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Tewari, Laxmi G. 1991: A splendor of worship : women's fasts, rituals, stories and art. Walpole, Mass: Riverdale.
- Tharu, Susie and K. Lalita (eds) 1993: Women writing in India : 600 B.C. to the present. Vol. 1 London: Pandora.
- Wilkinson, Sandra Margaret 1994: Young British Hindu women's interpretations of the images of womanhood in Hinduism. [Leeds].
-Willis, J 1990: Questions that won’t go away: a dialogue about women in Buddhism and Christianity. Journal of feminist studies in religion. 6: 2.
Willis, Janice D 1995 : Feminine ground : essays on women and Tibet. Ithaca, N.Y: Snow Lion.
Bancroft, Anne 1989: Weavers of wisdom : women of the twentieth century. London: Arkana.
Brown, Karen McCarthy 1991: Mama Lola: a vodou priestess in Brooklyn. Berkeley Oxford: University of California Press.
Billington, Sandra and Miranda Green (eds) 1998: The concept of the goddess. London: Routledge.
Christ, Carol P. and Judith Plaskow (eds) 1979: Womanspirit rising : a feminist reader in religion. San Francisco London: Harper & Row.
Christ, Carol P. 1995: Diving deep and surfacing : women writers on spiritual quest. Boston: Beacon Press.
Christ, Carol P. 1987: Laughter of Aphrodite : reflections on a journey to the goddess New York: Harper & Row.
Christ, Carol P. 1997: Rebirth of the goddess : finding meaning in feminist spirituality New York: Routledge.
Davidson, Hilda Ellis 1998: Roles of the northern goddess London, New York: Routledge.
Eilberg-Schwartz, H 1989: Witches of the West: Neopaganism and goddess worship as enlightenment religions. Journal of feminist studies in religion. 5:1.
Gimbutas, Marija 1982: The goddesses and gods of Old Europe, 6500-3500 BC, myths and cult images. London: Thames and Hudson.
Long, A 1992: The One and the Many: the great goddess revisited. Feminist theology. 15. pp. 13-29.
Palmer, Susan Jean 1994: Moon sisters, Krishna mothers, Rajneesh lovers : women's roles in new religions. New York: Syracuse University Press.
Reuther, Rosemary Radford 1989:Sexism and God language. In Judith Plaskow and Carol P. Christ (eds) Weaving the visions : new patterns in feminist spirituality.pp.151-162
Sered, Susan Starr 1994: Priestess, mother, sacred sister : religions dominated by women. New York: Oxford University Press.
Spretnak, Charlene 1982: The politics of women's spirituality : essays by founding mothers of the movement. New York: Anchor.
Stone, Merlin 1976 : The Paradise papers : the suppression of women's rites. London: Virago: Quartet Books.
Starhawk 1989: The spiral dance : a rebirth of the ancient religion of the great Goddess. New York London: Harper & Row.
Starhawk 1990: Truth or dare : encounters with power, authority, and mystery. San Francisco London: Harper & Row.
Religious Fundamentalisms and Women
-Brasher B.E. 1998: Godly women : fundamentalism and female power. Rutgers University Press.
- Brink, Judy and Joan Mencher 1997: Mixed blessings : gender and religious fundamentalism cross culturally. New York: Routledge.
- Gerami, Shahin 1996: Women and fundamentalism : Islam and Christianity. New York London: Garland Pub.
- Hawley, John Stratton (ed.) 1994: Fundamentalism and gender. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Howland, Courtney W. 1999: Religious fundamentalisms and the human rights of women. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Sahgal, Gita and Nira Yuval-Davis 1992: Refusing holy orders : women and fundamentalism in Britain. London: Virago.
Gender, Religion and Development
- Bayes, Jane H. and Nayereh Tohidi 2001: Globalization, gender and religion : the politics of women's rights in Catholic and Muslim contexts. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Bradley, Tamsin 2006: Challenging the NGOs : women, religion and western dialogues in India. IB Taurus.
- Huang, Chien-Yu Julia and Robert P. Weller 1998: Merit and Mothering: Women and Social Welfare in Taiwanese Buddhism The journal of Asian studies, Vol. 57, No. pp. 379-396
- Jackson, Cecille and Ruth Pearson 1998: ‘Introduction: Interrogating Development. Feminism, Gender and Policy’. In Jackson, Cecille and Ruth Pearson (eds.) Feminist visions of development : gender analysis and policy. London and New York: Routledge. pp. 1-16.
- Pearson, R. and Tomalin, E. (2007) ‘Intelligent Design: a Gender Sensitive Interrogation of Religion and Development’. In Clarke, Jennings and Shaw (eds) Development, civil society and faith-based organisations : bridging the sacred and the secular (Basingstoke: Palgrave) pp. 46-71
- Satha-Anand, S. 1999: Looking to Buddhism to Turn Back Prostitution in Thailand. Bauer, J. R. and Bell, D. A., editors, The East Asian challenge for human rights.Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 193-211.
- Tomalin, E. 2006: The Thai Bhikkhuni Movement and Women’s Empowerment. Gender and development 14(3): 385-397.
This list was last updated on 19/12/2017