Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
ARTF 2800 – Career Development
Reading list and resources
This information is to help you complete your assignments successfully.
For the CV and Covering Letter you may find the following books useful. They are in the Information Room at the Careers Centre (open from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday) and may be borrowed for up to 3 days.
· CVs and applications : a beginner's guide. Lifetime, 2011
· You're hired! : CVs, interview answers & psychometric tests, Mills, C et al., Trotman 2011
For the Skills Challenge Group Project
· Brilliant employability skills : how to stand out from the crowd in the graduate job market. Trought, F. Prentice Hall 2012
· How to succeed at interviews. Yeung, R. How To Books, 2011
· What employers want : the work skills handbook / Karen Holmes 2011
Additional reading list and resources
· Brilliant networking : what the best networkers know, do and say / Steven D'Souza Harlow : Prentice Hall, c2011
· Confident networking for career success / Gael Lindenfield & Stuart Lindenfield Piatkus, 2010
· Get hired in a tough market : insider secrets to find and land the job you need now/ Alan De Back McGraw-Hill, c2010
· How to succeed at an assessment centre : essential preparation for psychometric tests, group and role-play exercises, panel interviews and presentations / Harry Tolley & Robert Wood. Kogan Page, c2011
· Skills for success : the personal development planning handbook / Stella Cottrell Palgrave Macmillan, 2010
· The graduate jobs formula : how to land your dream career / Paul Redmond Trotman, 2010
· What's your type of career? : find your perfect career by using your personality type / Donna Dunning Nicholas Brealey, 2010
· All you need to know about commercial awareness / Christopher Stoakes Longtail, 2011
· The interview expert : get the job you want / John Lees, Pearson Education Ltd: Edinburgh, 2012
· Branding yourself : how to use social media to invent or reinvent yourself / Erik Deckers and Kyle Lacy, Pearson Education Ltd: USA, 2013
· Readymade CVs : winning CVs for every type of job / Lynn Williams, Kogan Page, 2012
· Brilliant graduate career handbook / Judith Done & Rachel Mulvey (available in the Career Centre Information Room/Resource section)
· Brilliant intern : how to get the best internships and make them count / Andrew Scherer (available in the Career Centre Information Room/Resource section)
Employment Sector Report
Starting points for your research:
1. www.prospects.ac.uk – comprehensive section on different sectors, jobs and work experience. Look at the Job Sectors section - each sector has a comprehensive career guide to jobs in the industry as well as articles and news features. Also information on finding a job in the area you are interested in, eg. main graduate employers.
2. Occupational Sector Files in the Careers Centre, eg. if you are
interested in being an Advertising Account Executive – look at the Occupation
Section Index which will tell you which file to look at – in this case G1.
If you are interested in a career in Buying and Retail, look at the Occupation Section Index which will give you sector groups – in this case in section H you will find Buying, Selling and Retail careers information.
The following books may be helpful if you are interested in a sector related to your academic studies. This list is not prescriptive.
Marketing and Arts Marketing
· The Routledge Companion to Arts Marketing. ART –A-05 ORE Bro.
· Eventful cities : cultural management and urban revitalisation. Bowdin GAJ et al. Management, V-99 BOW Bro West
· Arts marketing. Diggle, K. Rheingold ART A.0.09 DIG Bro.
· Creative Arts Marketing, Hill & O’Sullivan ART A-0.09 HIL Bro.
· Fashion marketing communications. Lea-Greenwood, G. Textiles D-1 LEA EB
· Principles of Marketing, Koton, N. Management N-1 KOT Bro West.
Fine Art Auctioneering
· Art for sale : a candid view of the art market. Boll, D. ART A-0.09 BOl Bro.
· Sotheby's : a portrait of an auction house. Herrmann, F. Chatto & Windus ART A-0.09 Bro
· Talking prices : symbolic meanings of prices on the market for contemporary art. Velthuis, O. Princeton UP. ART A-0-09 VEL Bro.
· The price of everything-- : perspectives on the art market, May 17-June 24, 2007.. Whitney Museum of American Art. ART A-0.09 WHI Bro.
Art Galleries and Museums
· International art galleries : post-war to post-millennium : a narrative chronology of the dealers, artists and spaces that have defined modern art. Groesenick, U & Stange, R. (Eds) Thames & Hudson ART A-0.08 Bro.
· Building Tate Modern : Herzog & De Meuron transforming Giles Gilbert Scott. Herzog & De Meuron ART A-0.08 LON/T Bro.
· The Tate: A History. Spalding, F. Tate gallery Publishing. ART A-0.08 LON Bro.
· Social history in museums : a handbook for professionals. Fleming, D, Paine, C & Rhodes, JG. ART A-0.08 FLE Bro.
· A cabinet of curiosities : inquiries into museums and their prospects. Weil, S.E. ART A-0.08 Bro.
· Museums journal. ART A-0-01 MUS.
· How to get a job in a museum or art gallery. Baverstock, Alison
The Heritage Sector
· The continuing purpose: a history of the National Trust, its aims and work. Fedden, R. Stack Geog. J-1.-2 NAT/F. EB.
· Men from the Ministry: How Britain saved its Heritage. Thurley, S. Yale UP ART A-0.08
· Gilding the acorn : behind the façade of the National Trust. Weideger, P. ART 0-7.07 WEI Bro.
· English Heritage Annual Report 2012/13. Internet Resource, London Stationary office. - Available online: https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/eh-ann-rep-accounts-12-13/
· The National Trust Annual Report Internet Resource http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/about-us/annual-reports/
This list was last updated on 18/01/2016