Dr Andrew Ross
Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
There are many books on basic meteorology in the Geography section of the library. Take some time to browse. The following are very accessible:
- Ahrens, C. Donald: Meteorology Today; Brooks/Cole 2013
- Barry, Roger G. and Chorley, Richard J.: Atmosphere, Weather and Climate; Routledge 2003.
- McIlveen, Robin: Fundamentals of Weather and Climate; Nelson Thornes (Publishers) Ltd 1991/
- Houghton, J.: The Physics of Atmospheres, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Hakim, G. and Patoux, J.: Weather : a concise introduction ISBN: 9781108404655 (pbk.) : £55.00; 9781108417167 (hbk.) : £95.00, Cambridge University Press, 2018.
A lively read, with vast amounts of detail regarding clouds and plenty of dry humour is:
- Pretor-Pinney, Gavin: The cloudspotter's guide; Hodder and Staunton, London, 2006, ISBN 0 340 89589 6
Also recommended for general interest:
- Monmonier, Mark: Air apparent : how meteorologists learned to map, predict, and dramatize weather; University of Chicago Press, 1999.
- Gribbin, John and Mary: ' FitzRoy : the remarkable story of Darwin's captain and the invention of the weather forecast '; Headline, 2003.
- Inness, Peter and Dorling, Steve: Operational weather forecasting; Wiley, 2013.
This list was last updated on 10/01/2019