Dr Seiki Tanaka
Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
This reading list identifies the core reading for each seminar.
Seminar What is foreign aid?
Hook, S and Rumsey, J. (2016) ‘The Development Aid Regime at Fifty: Policy Challenges Inside and Out’, International studies perspectives. ISSN: 1528-3577 17, 55–74
Seminar Aid allocation
Alesina, A. and Dollar D. (2000) ‘Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?’, Journal of economic growth. ISSN: 1381-4338, 5(1): 33-63.*
Plus one from
- Kuziemko and Werker (2006) ‘How much is a seat on the Security Council worth?’ Journal of political economy. ISSN: 0022-3808
- Nielsen (2013) ‘Rewarding Human Rights? Selective Aid Sanctions against Repressive States’ International studies quarterly. ISSN: 0020-8833
- Bueno de Mesquita and Smith (2009) ‘A Political Economy of Aid’ International organization. ISSN: 0020-8183
- Bermeo (2017) ‘Aid Allocation and Targeted Development in an Increasingly Connected World’ International organization. ISSN: 0020-8183
- Collier, Paul, and David Dollar (2002). “Aid Allocation and Poverty Reduction.” European economic review. ISSN: 0014-2921 46(8): 1475-1500.
Seminar Public opinion
Heinrich, Tobias, Yoshiharu Kobayashi & Kristin A Bryant. 2016. “Public Opinion and Foreign Aid Cuts in Economic Crises.” World development. ISSN: 0305-750x 77:66–79
- Davies, Lightfoot and Johns (2105) ’UK Foreign Aid: What do the British public think aid should be for?’ [https://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/blog/uk-foreign-aid-what-do-british-public-think-aid-should-be]
- Heinrich, Kobayashi and Long (2018) ‘Voters Get What They Want (When They Pay Attention): Human Right, Policy Benefits, Foreign Aid’ International studies quarterly. ISSN: 0020-8833
- Hurst, Hawkins and Tidwell (2017) “Down the Rathhole? Public Support for US Foreign Aid” International studies quarterly. ISSN: 0020-8833
- Baker, Andy. (2015). “Race, Paternalism, and Foreign Aid: Evidence from U.S. Public Opinion.” The American political science review. ISSN: 0003-0554 109(1): 93-109.
Emma Mawdsley (2015) DFID, the Private Sector and the Re-centring of an Economic Growth Agenda in International Development, Global Society. ISSN: 1360-0826; 1469-798X, 29:3, 339-358,
Seminar Domestic Politics
Tingley, Dustin. 2010. “Donors and domestic politics: Political influences on foreign aid effort.” Quarterly review of economics and finance. ISSN: 1062-9769 50(1):40–49.
- Milner and Tingley (2010) ‘The Political Economy of US Foreign Aid: American Legislators and the Domestic Politics of Aid’ Economics & politics. ISSN: 0954-1985
- Bermeo and Lebrang (2015) ‘Migration and Foreign Aid’ International organization. ISSN: 0020-8183
- Lu and Breuning (2014) ‘Gender and Generosity: Does women’s representation affect development cooperation?’ Politics, Groups, and Identities https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21565503.2014.927776
Quadir, A (2013) ‘Rising Donors and the New Narrative of “South-South” Cooperation: What Prospects for Changing the Landscape of Development Assistance Programmes?’, Third world quarterly. ISSN: 0143-6597 34.2: 321 – 338
Plus one from
- Dreher, Nunnenkamp and Thiele (2011) ‘Are new donors different? Comparing the allocation of bilateral aid between nonDAC and DAC donor countries’ World development. ISSN: 0305-750x
- Dreher, Fuchs, Parks, Strange and Tierney (2018) ‘Apples and dragon fruits: The determinants of aid and other forms of state financing from China to Africa’ International studies quarterly. ISSN: 0020-8833
Seminar Impact of Aid
Feeny, S and M. McGillivray (2016) ‘Aid and Global Poverty’ in The Oxford Handbook of the Social Science of Poverty Edited by David Brady and Linda M. Burton
Plus one from
- Burnside and Dollar (2000) ‘Aid, Policies, and Growth’ American economic review. ISSN: 0002-8282
- Bearce and Tirone (2010) ‘Foreign aid effectiveness and the strategic goals of donor governments’ The Journal of politics. ISSN: 0022-3816; 1468-2508
- Ahmed, Faisal. Z. (2012). “The Perils of Unearned Foreign Income: Aid, Remittances, and Government Survival.” The American political science review. ISSN: 0003-0554 106(1): 146-165.
- Savun, Burcu, and Daniel C. Tirone. (2018). “Foreign Aid as a Counterterrorism Tool: More Liberty, Less Terror?” The journal of conflict resolution. ISSN: 0022-0027 62(8): 1607-1635.
- Heinrich, Tobias, and Matt W. Loftis. (2019). “Democracy Aid and Electoral Accountability” The journal of conflict resolution. ISSN: 0022-0027 63(1): 139-166.
- Goldsmith, Benjamin E., Yusaku Horiuchi and Terence Wood (2014), "Doing Well by Doing Good: The Impact of Foreign Aid on Foreign Public Opinion." Quarterly Journal of Political Science 9(1): 87-114.https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2361691
General Background Reading
Easterly, W. (2006) The White Man’s Burden: Why the West’s Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done so Much Ill and so Little Good, Penguin Press, New York.
Lancaster, C. (2006) Foreign aid : diplomacy, development, domestic politics ISBN: 9780226470450 (pbk. : alk. paper); 9780226470627 (ebk); 0226470431 (cloth : alk. paper); 9780226470436 (cloth : alk. paper); 0226470458 (pbk. : alk. paper), Chicago: University Of Chicago Press.
Lundsgaarde, E. (2013) The domestic politics of foreign aid ISBN: 9780415656955 (hardback); 9780203077429 (ebook), London: Routledge.
Mawdsley, E. (2012) From recipients to donors : emerging powers and the changing development landscape, London: Zed Books.
Mavrotas, G. (2010) Foreign aid for development [electronic resource] : issues, challenges, and the new agenda. Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2010.
Milner, H. and Tingley, D. (2013) Geopolitics of foreign aid ISBN: 9781781951613 (set) : £410.00. Cheltenham, UK : Edward Elgar.
Moyo, D. (2009) Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How There is a Better Way For Africa. London: Penguin.
Riddell, R. (2007) Does foreign aid really work? ISBN: 9780199544462 (pbk); 0199295654 (alk. paper); 9780199295654 (alk. paper), Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Sachs, J. (2005) The end of poverty : how we can make it happen in our lifetime ISBN: 0141018666, Penguin Press, New York
Sumner, A & Mallet, R (2013) The future of foreign aid : development cooperation and the new geography of global poverty ISBN: 9781137298874; 1137298871. Palgrave Macmillan
van der Veen, M. (2011) Ideas, interests and foreign aid ISBN: 9780521264099 (paperback); 9781107009745 (hardback). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Whitfield, L. (2009) The politics of aid : African strategies for dealing with donors ISBN: 9780199560172 (hbk.) : £30.00; 019956017X (hbk.) : £30.00, Oxford : Oxford University Press.
This list was last updated on 23/01/2019