Dr Paul Abbott
Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
SOEE2670 Environmental Impact Assessment
1. Barker, A. and Wood. C. (1999) An evaluation of EIA system performance in eight EU countries.Environmental impact assessment review., Volume 19, Issue 4, July 1999, 387-404.
2. Carroll B. and Turpin T (2002). Environmental impact assessment handbook: a practical guide for planners, developers and communities. Thomas Telford, London.
3. DEFRA. (2000) Environmental impact assessment : a guide to proceduresDepartment of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, National Assembly for Wales., Great Britain. Dept. of the Environment, Transport and the Regions. Tonbridge : Thomas Telford, 2000.
4. Glasson, J., R. Therivel and A. Chadwick (2019). Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment.Abingdon, UK, Routledge.
5. Modak, P. and Biswas A.K. (1999). Conducting Environmental Impact Assessment for Developing Countries United Nations University Press, Tokyo.
6. Morrison-Saunders, A. & Arts, J. (eds.) (2004) Assessing impact : handbook of EIA and SEA follow-upEarthscan: London.
7. Petts, J., (Ed.) (1999). Handbook of environmental impact assessment (Volume I). Oxford, Blackwell.
8. Sadler, B. et.al. Handbook of strategic environmental assessmentLondon: Earthscan, 2011.
9. Therivel, R. (2004) Strategic environmental assessment in actionSterling, VA: Earthscan, London.
10. Wood, C. (2003) Environmental impact assessment : a comparative reviewHarlow : Prentice Hall, 2003, 2nd ed.
Useful websites & guidelines:
1. Circular 02/99: Environmental Impact Assessment. DETR circular 02/99 www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/circularenvironmentalimpact
2. Dept. Communities and Local Government: Planning, Building and the Environment: www.communities.gov.uk/planningandbuilding/
Follow the option of “Planning” - “Sustainability and Environmental Assessment” - “Environmental Impact Assessment. All of the documents in this section provide good background information, in particular “Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)”
3. DETR (1994). Evaluation of Environmental Information and Planning Projects: A Good Practice Guide Department for the Environment. HMSO, London.
4. DETR (1995). Preparation of Environmental Statements for Planning Project that Require Environmental Assessment: A Good Practice Guide. Department for the Environment. HMSO, London.
5. DETR (1997). Mitigation Measures in Environmental Statements. Department for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, TSO, London.
6. DETR (1999). Environmental Impact Assessment. Circular 02/99. Department for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, TSO, London.
7. DETR (2002). Good Practice Guide on Sustainability Appraisal of Regional Planning Guidance. Department for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, TSO, London.
8. DTLR (2000) Environmental Impact Assessment: A guide to proceduresThomas Telford, London.
9. EC (2001) Directive 2001/42/EC on the assessment of the effects of certain plans and programmes on the environment. http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eia/
10. Environment Agency (1996) Environmental assessment : scoping handbook for projects: report of the Environment Agency, HMSO
11. European Union (1997) Council Directive 97/11/EC of 3 March 1997 amending Directive 85/337/EEC on the assessment of the effects of certain public and private projects on the environment. Official journal of the European Communities. LegislationL 073, 14/3/1997, p5-15.
12. HMG (1999). The Town and Country Planning (EIA) (England and Wales) Regulations 1999. TSO. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19990293.htm
13. HMG (2000). The Town and Country Planning (EIA) (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2000. TSO. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002867.htm
14. HMSO (1995). A Guide to Risk Assessment and Risk Management for Environmental Protection. Department of the Environment, HMSO.
15. Institute of Environmental Assessment, 1995: Reviews of Environmental Statements and Review Criteria. www.iema.net/technicalservices/eiareviewservice
In particular, for Lecture 5, click on “Environmental Statement Reviews” from where you can download a PDF of the Review Criteria.
16. Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (2004). Guidelines for Environmental Impact Assessment. IEMA, Lincoln.
17. Planning Portal: Your Guide to Local Planning Online: www.planningportal.gov.uk
18. SEA training manual: http://www.rec.org/REC/programs/environmentalassessment/International-Projects.html
19. The Scottish Government. 2006. SEA Tool Kit - offers guidance for the Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Act 2005. [Available; on-line: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/09/13104943/0
20. Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment)(England & Wales) Regulations 1999. www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19990293.htm
Useful Journals (including but not limited to):
- Journal of environmental management.
- Environmental impact assessment review.
- Environmental monitoring and assessment.
- Journal of environmental planning and management.
- Environment and planning. B : International journal of architecture and building research.
- Impact assessment and project appraisal.
- Journal of environmental planning and management.
- Local environment.
Useful International Organisations (including but not limited to):
· United Nations (e.g. UN Economic Commission for Europe)
Topic Specific Suggested Readings (Key: * = Key Readings)
Introduction to environmental planning & environmental impact assessment (EIA)
· *Glasson, J., Therivel, R. and Chadwick, A. (2012). 4th ed. Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment (3rd Edition). London:Routledge. Chapters 1, 2 & 3.
· European Council Directive 85/337/EEC, The assessment of the effects of certain public and private projects on the environment: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eia/eia-legalcontext.htm
· European Commission’s web pages on environmental assessment : http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eia/home.htm
· The Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) (England and Wales) Regulations 1999. http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19990293.htm
Key elements of the EIA (I): Screening, scoping, baseline studies & the identification of
· *Glasson, J., Therivel, R. and Chadwick, A. (2012). 4th ed. Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment (3rd Edition). London: Routledge. Chapter 4.
· Environment Agency (2002). EIA: A handbook for scoping projects. London: Environment Agency. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/296952/geho0411btrf-e-e.pdf
Key elements of the EIA (II): Impact prediction, evaluation & mitigation
· *Glasson, J., Therivel, R. and Chadwick, A. (2012). 4th ed. Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment (3rd Edition). London: Routledge. Chapter 5.
· FAO (Natural Resources Management and Environment Department). (1995). Environmental impact assessment of irrigation and drainage projects. ISBN 0254-5284. (Chapter 3 – EIA Process: Prediction & Mitigation) Available, on-line: http://www.fao.org/docrep/V8350E/v8350e06.htm#prediction%20and%20mitigation
Key elements of the EIA (III): Environmental impact statement
· *The Department of the Environment. (1995). Preparation of environmental statements for planning projects that require environmental assessment : a good practice guide.. London, HMSO.
· Friends of the Earth. (2005). EIA – A campaigner’s guide. Available online: http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/guides/environmental_impact_asses1.pdf
Public participation in planning & decision-making
· *Glasson, J., Therivel, R. and Chadwick, A. (2012). 4th ed. Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment (3rd Edition). London : Routledge. Chapter 6.
· Hughes, R. (1998). Environmental Impact Assessment & stakeholder involvement. IIED. Available, online at: http://pubs.iied.org/pdfs/7789IIED.pdf
Post-decision monitoring & auditing
· *Glasson, J., Therivel, R. and Chadwick, A. (2012). 4th ed. Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment (3rd Edition). London : Routledge. Chapter 7.
· Angus Morrison-Saunders, Ross Marshall, and Jos Arts. 2007. EIA Follow-Up. International Best Practice Principles. IAIA (International Association for Impact Assessment) Special Publication Series No. 6, July 2007, Fargo, USA. Available, online at: http://www.iaia.org/publicdocuments/specialpublications/SP6.pdf
A case based application of environmental planning & assessment: A mock public inquiry
· *Glasson, J., Therivel, R. and Chadwick, A. (2012). 4th ed. Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment (3rd Edition). London:Routledge. Chapters 8 & 9.
EIA vs SEA: What is the difference?
· *UNECE. (2007). Chapter A1: A brief introduction to Strategic Environmental Assessment. [Available, on-line: http://www.unece.org/env/eia/sea_manual/welcome.html
· Brown, A.L. and Therivel, R. (2000) Principles to guide the development of strategic environmental assessment methodology. Impact assessment and project appraisal., 18 (2000) (3), pp. 187–208.
· SEA-infor.net (http://www.seainfo.net/)
Environmental planning & assessment in the future
· *Morrison-Saunders A & Bailey M. (2009). Appraising the role of relationships between regulators and consultants for effective EIA. Environmental impact assessment review., 29, pp.284-294.
· UNEP. (2003). UNEP Studies of EIA practice in developing countries. Topic 15 -Future directions. UNEP. http://www.unep.ch/etu/publications/EIA_2ed/EIA_E_top1 5_body.PDF
· European Commission. Review of the EIA Directive. http://ec.europa.eu/ environment/eia/review.htm
This list was last updated on 27/01/2020