Dr Mark Hildyard
Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
The following are selected textbooks on fundamental rock mechanics. A more detailed list is given in handouts.
1. " Fundamentals of Rock Mechanics ". Jaeger, Cook, and Zimmermann, 4th edition, 2007. Based on South African and Australian practice, plus updated by Zimmerman, includes link to ae. Considered as handbook SA. Useful for theory.
2. " Introduction to Rock Mechanics ". Goodman 1989 - North American practice, geological viewpoint, includes stereographic projections, joint properties, and some examples. Wiley
3. Engineering Rock Mechanics. Part 1: An Introduction to the Principles ISBN: 9780080438641; 0080438644; Part 2: Illustrative Worked Examples ISBN: 9780080430102; 0080430104. J A Hudson, and J P Harrison, Pergamon, 1997, 2000. ( Online ).
4. http://www.rocscience.com , Hoek's corner.
5. " Theory of Elasticity ", Timoshenko and Goodier. 3rd edition, 1970. Excellent for a general understanding of elastic theory, and to find specific derivations. Warning, opposite conventions to Rock mechanics.
Selected journal articles will be recommended in lectures
This list was last updated on 03/10/2016