Dr Caroline Starkey
Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
- Week 1 (14): Introduction to Module and Overview
- Week 2 (15): Gender, Sexualities and Sacred Texts
- Week 3 (16) Post Colonialism
- Week 4 (17): Men and Masculinities
- Week 5 (18): LGBT and Queer Studies
- Week 6 (19): Religion and Sex Work Activism
- Week 7 (20): Gender, Sexualities and Institutional Change
- Week 8 (21) Sexuality, Religion and Nationalism
- Week 9 (22): Film Showing
- Week 10 (23): Transgender Identities and Rights
- Other suggested reading General – feminism, gender and religion
- Asian Religious Traditions
- ‘New Spiritualities’
- Religious Fundamentalisms and Women
- Gender, Religion and Development
Week 1 (14): Introduction to Module and Overview
- Lyn Thomas and Avtar Brah (2011) ‘Editorial’ Feminist review., 97(1): 1–4.
- Barbara Einhorn (2008), ‘Editorial’, The European journal of women's studies. 15(3): 155-164.
- Dubravka Zarkov (2015), ‘Reflections on Faith and Feminism’, The European journal of women's studies. 22(1): 3-6.
- Anne-Marie Korte (2011), ‘Openings: A Genealogical Introduction to Religion and Gender’, Religion and gender. ISSN: 1878-5417 1(1), 1-17
Week 2 (15): Gender, Sexualities and Sacred Texts
* Deborah W. Rooke. 2007. ‘Feminist Criticism of the Old Testament: Why Bother?’ Feminist theology. ISSN: 0966-7350, 15:2, pp. 160-174.
- Ken Stone, ‘The Garden of Eden and the Heterosexual Contract’, in Take back the Word : a queer reading of the Bible ISBN: 0829813977 (alk. paper), edited by Robert E. Goss and Mona West, 57-70. Cleveland: The Pilgrim Press . OCR REQUESTED BY LIBRARY (KR 29/01/2019)
Further optional readings (in the library), giving earlier background on feminist re-readings of scripture, including:
- - Judith Plaskow, ‘Setting the Problem, Laying the Ground’, from Standing again at Sinai : Judaism from a feminist perspective ISBN: 0060666846
- - Judith Plaskow, The coming of Lilith : essays on feminism, Judaism, and sexual ethics, 1972-2003 ISBN: 9780807036235; 0807036234 (pbk.) : £12.99. New York: Beacon Press.
- - Rosemary Radford Ruether, “Sexism and God-talk”.
- - Ken Stone, ed. 2001. Queer commentary and the Hebrew Bible ISBN: 184127237X. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.
- - Teresa J. Hornsby and Ken Stone, eds. 2011. Bible trouble : queer reading at the boundaries of biblical scholarship ISBN: 9781589835528 (paper binding : alk. paper); 9781589835535 (electronic format). Leiden: Brill.
- - Phyllis Trible, God and the rhetoric of sexuality ISBN: 0800604644. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
Week 3 (16) Post Colonialism
- Morny Joy (2004). “Postcolonial and Gendered Reflections”, in U. King and T. Beattie (eds.), Gender, Religion and Diversity, 28-39. London: Continuum
- Kwok, Pui-Lan (2002): ‘Unbinding our Feet: saving brown women and feminist religious discourse’. In Laura E. Donaldson and Kwok Pui-lan (eds): Postcolonialism, feminism and religious discourse. New York and London: Routledge. Chapter 1.
Useful overview of issues relevant to this seminar: Sara Salem, ‘Feminist critique and Islamic feminism: the question of intersectionality’, The Postcolonialist 1/1: http://postcolonialist.com/civil-discourse/feminist-critique-and-islamic-feminism-the-question-of-intersectionality/
Shahra Razavi and Anne Jenichen (2010) ‘An Introduction. The Unhappy Marriage of Religion and Politics: Problems and Pitfalls for Gender Equality’ Third world quarterly. 31:6, 8333-850.
Moira Dustin (2012) ‘Deference or Interrogation?: Contrasting Models for Reconciling Religion and Gender Equality’, Religion and gender. 2/1
· Sian Hawthorne, ‘Displacements: Religion, Gender and the Catechrestic Demands of Postcoloniality’, Religion and gender. 3/2 (2013)
Week 4 (17): Men and Masculinities
- Björn Krondorfer and Stephen Hunt (2012). ‘Introduction: Religion and Masculinities – Continuities and Change’, Religion and Gender 2(2), 194–206. https://www.religionandgender.org/articles/abstract/10.18352/rg.7201/
- Amanullah De Sondy, The crisis of Islamic masculinities ISBN: 9781780936161 (hbk.) : £65.00 London: Bloomsbury 2013 (chapter 5). OCR REQUESTED BY LIBRARY (KR 29/01/2019)
Further suggested reading:
- Adriaan van Klinken, ‘Male Headship as Male Agency: An Alternative Understanding of a “Patriarchal” African Pentecostal Discourse on Masculinity’, in Religion and gender. ISSN: 1878-5417 1/1 (2011), 104-124. http://www.religionandgender.org/index.php/rg/article/view/19/22
- Halkano Abdi Wario, ‘Reforming Men, Refining Umma: Tablīghī Jamā‛at and Novel Visions of Islamic Masculinity’, Religion and gender. ISSN: 1878-5417 2/2 (2012), 231–253. https://www.religionandgender.org/articles/abstract/10.18352/rg.7202/
- Björn Krondorfer (ed.) Men and masculinities in Christianity and Judaism : a critical reader, London: SCM Press 2009
Week 5 (18): LGBT and Queer Studies
- Melissa Wilcox, ‘Queer Theory and the Study of Religion’, in Donald L. Boisvert and Jay Emerson Johnson, eds., Queer religion ISBN: 9780313353581; 9780313353598 (ebook); 031335359x (ebook), volume 2: LGBT Movements and Queering Religion. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger 2012, pp. 227-253
- Gabeba Baderoon, ‘“I Compose Myself”: Lesbian Muslim Autobiographies and the Craft of Self-Writing in South Africa’, Journal of the American Academy of Religion. ISSN: 0002-7189 83:4 (2015), 897-915.
Further suggested readings
- Boisvert, Donald L., and Jay Emerson Johnson, eds. 2012. Queer religion ISBN: 9780313353581; 9780313353598 (ebook); 031335359x (ebook) (Vol. 2): LGBT Movements and Queering Religion. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Cornwall, Susannah. 2011. Controversies in queer theology ISBN: 9780334043553 (pbk.) : No price; 0334043557 (pbk.) : No price. London: SCM Press.
- Hunt, Stephen. 2009. Contemporary Christianity and LGBT sexualities ISBN: 9780754676249 (hardback : alk. paper); 0754676242 (hardback : alk. paper). Farnham and Burlington: Ashgate.
- Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle. 2013. Living out Islam : voices of gay, lesbian, and transgender Muslims ISBN: 9781479894673 (pbk.); 9780814744482 (hbk.). New York: NY University Press.
Week 6 (19): Religion and Sex Work Activism
* Lauren McGrow. 2017. ‘Doing It: (Feminist Theology and Faith-Based Outreach) with Sex_workers – Beyond Christian Rescue and the Problem Solving Approach’. Feminist theology. ISSN: 0966-7350, 25:2.
* Chi Adanna Mgbako. 2016. Chapter 7 from To live freely in this world [electronic resource] : sex worker activism in Africa ISBN: 9781479844647 (e-book); 9781479849062 (pbk.). New York: New York University Press
Week 7 (20): Gender, Sexualities and Institutional Change
- Grace Davie and Caroline Starkey. 2019. The Lincoln Letters: A Case Study in Institutional Change. Forthcoming in Ecclesial Practices (article available in the course readings folder, pre-publication version).
- Emma Percy. 2017. Women, Ordination and the Church of England: An Ambiguous Welcome. Feminist theology. ISSN: 0966-7350, 21:1. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0966735017714405
- Sarah Jane Page. 2016. ‘Altruism and Sacrifice: Anglican Priests Managing ‘Intensive’ Priesthood and Motherhood’. Religion and gender. ISSN: 1878-5417, 6 (1), pp. 47-63: https://www.religionandgender.org/articles/abstract/10.18352/rg.10127/
- Andrew K.T. Yip. 2003. ‘Sexuality and the Church’. Sexualities. ISSN: 1363-4607, 6 (1): https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1363460703006001007
Week 8 (21) Sexuality, Religion and Nationalism
- Srdjan Sremac and R. Ruard Ganzevoort. 2015. “The Interplay of Religious and Sexual Nationalisms in Central and Eastern Europe”, in Srdjan Sremac and R. Ruard Ganzevoort (eds.), Religious and sexual nationalisms in central and eastern Europe : Gods, gays and governments. ISBN: 9789004297791 (e-book). Leiden: Brill 2015.
- Adriaan van Klinken (2014). ‘Homosexuality, Politics and Pentecostal Nationalism in Zambia’, Studies in world Christianity. ISSN: 1354-9901; 1750-0230 20/3, 259-281.
Further suggested readings:
- Jasbir K. Puar. 2007. Terrorist assemblages : homonationalism in queer times ISBN: 082234114X (pbk. : alk. paper); 9780822340942 (cloth : alk. paper); 0822340941 (cloth : alk. paper); 9780822341147 (pbk. : alk. paper). Durham: Duke University Press.
- Jasbir K. Puar. 2014. ‘Reading religion back into Terrorist Assemblages: Author's response’, Culture and religion. ISSN: 1475-5610; 1475-5629 15:2, pp. 198-210.
- Sian Hawthorne and Ulrike Auga (2017). ‘Homonationalism and the Challenge of Queer Theology’, in Sian Hawthorne (ed.), Gender : god ISBN: 9780028663173 (hardcover); 9780028663258 (ebook) (Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbooks: Gender series), Farmington Hills, MI Macmillan Reference USA, 367-383. OCR REQUESTED BY LIBRARY (MAA 04/01/2018) OCR REQUESTED BY LIBRARY (MAA 04/01/2018
- Basile Ndjio 2013. “Sexuality and Nationalist Ideologies in Post-Colonial Cameroon,” in The sexual history of the global South : sexual politics in Africa, Asia, and Latin America ISBN: 9781780324029 (pb); 1780324022 (pb); 9781780324036 (hb); 1780324030 (hb), ed. Saskia Wieringa and Horacio Sivori, 120–43. London: Zed Books.
Week 9 (22): Film Showing
- Adriaan van Klinken and Ezra Chitando, eds. 2016. Public Religion and the Politics of Homosexuality in Africa. London and New York: Routledge.
- S.N. Nyeck and Marc Epprecht, eds. 2013. Sexual diversity in Africa : politics, theory, and citizenship. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- Sokari Ekine and Hakima Abbas, eds. Queer African reader ISBN: 9780857490995. Nairobi: Pambazuka Press.
Week 10 (23): Transgender Identities and Rights
- Jakob Hero, ‘Towards a Queer Theology of Flourishing: Transsexual Embodiment, Subjectivity, and Moral Agency’ in Donald L. Boisvert and Jay Emerson Johnson, eds., Queer religion ISBN: 9780313353581; 9780313353598 (ebook); 031335359x (ebook), volume 2: LGBT Movements and Queering Religion. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger 2012, pp. 143-166.
- Jennifer Ung Loh, ‘Divine Imaginaries and Transgender Subjects’, in Sîan Melvill Hawthorne, ed, Gender : god ISBN: 9780028663173 (hardcover) (Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbooks Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA, 2017), 143-158. OCR REQUESTED BY LIBRARY (MAA 04/01/2018)
Further suggested readings
- Marcella Althaus-Reid and Lisa Isherwood, eds. Trans/formations ISBN: 9780334043430 (pbk.) : No price; 0334043433 (pbk.) : No price (Controversies in Contextual Theology). London: SCM Press 2009.
- Christina Beardsley and Michelle O'Brienn, eds. This is my body : hearing the theology of transgender Christians ISBN: 9780232532067 (pbk.) : £14.99. Darton Longman & Todd 2016
- Judith J. Halberstam, In a queer time and place : transgender bodies, subcultural lives ISBN: 0814735851 (pbk. : alk. paper); 0814735843 (cloth : alk. paper). New York: New York University Press 2005.
Other suggested reading
General – feminism, gender and religion
- Anderson, Pamela Sue 1998: A feminist philosophy of religion : the rationality and myths of religious belief. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Carroll, Theodora Foster 1983: Women, religion, and development in the Third World. New York Eastbourne: Praeger.
- Cooey, Paula M., William R. Eakin, Jay B. McDaniel (eds) 1998: After patriarchy: feminist transformations of the world religions. Oxford, Mass: Blackwell.
-Daly, Mary 1973: Beyond God the Father : towards a philosophy of women's liberation
- Eck, Diana L. and Devaki Jain (eds) 1986: Speaking of faith : cross-cultural perspectives on women, religion and social change. London: Women's Press.
-Goldenberg, Naomi R. 1979: Changing of the gods : feminism and the end of traditional religions. Boston, Mass: Beacon Press.
- Gross, Rita M. (ed.)1977: Beyond androcentrism : new essays on women and religion Missoula, Mont: Scholars Press for the American Academy of Religion,
-Holme, Jean and John Bowker (eds) 1994: Women in Religion. Pinter.
- Haddad, Yvonne Yazbeck and Ellison Banks Findly (eds) 1985: Women, religion, and social change Albany: State University of New York Press.
-Holden, Pat (ed.) 1983: Women's religious experience. London: Croom Helm.
-Jantzen, Grace 1998: Becoming divine : towards a feminist philosophy of religion. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Joy, Morny et al ed. 2002: French feminists on religion
- King, Ursula 1987: Women in the world's religions, past and present. New York: Paragon House.
- King, Ursula 1993: Women and spirituality: voices of protest and promise. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
-King, Ursula (ed.) 1995: Religion and gender Oxford: Blackwell.
-Joseph, Alison 1990: Through the devil's gateway : women, religion and taboo London: SPCK in association with Channel Four Television.
- Knott, Kim 1994: Women and religion in post-war Britain. In Parsons, G. (ed) The growth of religious diversity : Britain from 1945, vol. II. London: Routledge.
-Manning, Christel 1999: God gave us the right : conservative Catholic, Evangelical Protestant, and Orthodox Jewish women grapple with feminism New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
-Pui-Lan, Kwok and Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza (eds) 1998: Women's sacred scriptures. London: SCM Press.
- Sharma, Arvind (ed.) 1987: Religion and women. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Sharma, Arvind (ed.) 1994: Women in world religions. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Sharma, Arvind (ed.) 1994: Today's woman in world religions Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Walker, Alice 1984: In search of our mothers' gardens : womanist prose London: The Women’s Press.
- Young, Serenity (ed) 1999: Encyclopedia of women and world religion New York: Macmillan Reference USA.
-Young, Serenity (ed) 1993: An anthology of sacred texts by and about women London: Pandora.
- Althaus-Reid, Marcella 2004: From feminist theology to indecent theology : readings on poverty, sexual identity and God
- Aquino, M.P. D. L. Muchado and J. Rodriguez, eds. 2002: A reader in Latina feminist theology : religion and justice
- Armour, Ellen T. 1999: Deconstruction, feminist theology, and the problem of difference : subverting the race/gender divide
- Beattie, Tina 2006: New Catholic feminism : theology and theory
- Cannon, Katie 1988: Black womanist ethics
- Fiorenza, Elisabeth Schüssler 1992: But She said : feminist practices of biblical interpretation
- Grant, Jacquelyn 1989: White women's Christ and black women's Jesus : feminist christology and womanist response (Atlanta, Georgia: Scholars Press)
- Hampson, Daphne 1996: After Christianity
- Hogan, Linda 1995: From women's experience to feminist theology
- Isherwood, Lisa 2001: Introducing feminist christologies
- Parsons, Susan F. 2002: The ethics of gender
- Parsons, Susan F. ed. 2000: Challenging women's orthodoxies in the context of faith
- Ruether, Rosemary Radford 1983: Sexism and God-talk
- Ruether, Rosemary Radford 1988: Women-church : theology and practice of feminist liturgical communities
- Sawyer, Deborah F. and D. M. Collier, eds. 1999: Is there a future for feminist theology?
- Schroer, S. and S. Bietenhard, eds. 2003: Feminist interpretation of the Bible and the hermeneutics of liberation
- Schumacher, M.M. ed. 2004: Women in Christ : toward a new feminism
- Thistlethwaite, Susan 1989: Sex, race and God : Christian feminism in black and white
- Williams, Delores S. 1993 Sisters in the wilderness : the challenge of womanist God-talk Maryknoll: Orbis.
-Alpert, Rebecca 1997: Like bread on the seder plate : Jewish lesbians and the transformation of tradition. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Aschkenasy, Nehama 1994: Eve's journey : feminine images in Hebraic literary tradition Detroit: Wayne State University Press.
-Bar-Ilan, Meir 1998: Some Jewish women in antiquity Atlanta, Ga: Scholars Press.
- Baskin, Judith R. (ed) 1998: Jewish women in historical perspective Detroit, Mich: Wayne State University Press.
- Bird, Phyllis A. Phyllis Ann 1997: Missing persons and mistaken identities : women and gender in ancient Israel. Minneapolis, Minn: Fortress Press.
- Cantor, Aviva 1995: Jewish women / Jewish men : the legacy of patriarchy in Jewish life New York: HarperSanFrancisco.
- Cohen, Aryeh 1998: Rereading Talmud : gender, law, and the poetics of sugyot Atlanta, Ga: Scholars Press.
- Davidman, Lynn & Shelly Tenenbaum (eds) 1994: Feminist perspectives on Jewish studies. New Haven London: Yale University Press.
- Greenberg, Blu 1981: On women & Judaism : a view from tradition Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America.
- Heschel, Susannah 1995: On being a Jewish feminist New York: Schocken Books.
- ‘Current Issues in Jewish Feminist Theology’, Christian Jewish relations. 19:2.
- Hyman, Paula E. and Deborah Dash Moore (eds) 1997 : Jewish women in America : an historical encyclopedia New York, London: Routledge.
- Jackson,Glenna (1998) ‘Jesus as a First-Century Feminist: Christian anti-Judaism? ’ Feminist theology 7: 85 pp. 85-98
- Jewish Women in London Group 1989: Generations of memories : voices of Jewish women London: Women's Press.
- von Kellenbach, K (1994) Anti-Judaism in feminist religious writings, Atlanta: Scholars Press
- Levitt, Laura 1997: Jews and feminism : the ambivalent search for home New York London: Routledge.
- Litchfield, Sara (2010) ‘Feminist Theology and the Holocaust’, Feminist theology, 18:3 pp.332-340
- Matthews, Victor H., Bernard M. Levinson and Tikva Frymer-Kensky (eds) 1998: Gender and law in the Hebrew Bible and the ancient Near East Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.
- Neusner, Jacob, 1998: How the rabbis liberated women Atlanta, Ga: Scholars Press.
- Peskowitz, M and Levitt, L (eds) (1997) Judaism since gender, London: Routledge
- Plaskow, Judith 1991 : Standing again at Sinai : Judaism from a feminist perspective. New York: HarperSanFrancisco.
- Raphael, M (2003) The female face of God in Auschwitz : a Jewish feminist theology of the Holocaust, London: Routledge
- Rudavsky. T.M. (ed) 1995: Gender and Judaism : the transformation of tradition. New York London: New York University Press.
- Schmool, Marlena 1994: Women in the Jewish community : survey report. London: Women in the Community.
- Sered, Susan Starr 1992: Women as ritual experts : the religious lives of elderly Jewish women in Jerusalem. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Umansky, E. 1984: Creating a Jewish Feminist Theology: possibilities and problems. Anima. 10: 1.
- Umansky, Ellen M. and Dianne Ashton (eds) 1992: Four centuries of Jewish women's spirituality : a sourcebook. Boston: Beacon.
- Ahmed, Leila 1992: Women and gender in Islam : historical roots of a modern debate. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Awde, Nicoloas (ed) 1998: Women in Islam : an anthology from the Quran and Hadith Richmond, Surrey: Curzon.
- Bodman, Herbert L. and Nayereh Tohidi (eds) 1998: Women in Muslim societies : diversity within unity. Boulder, Colo. London: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- Cooke, Miriam 2002: ‘Multiple Critiques: Islamic Feminist Rhetorical Strategies’ .In Laura E. Donaldson and Kwok Pui-lan (eds) 2002: Postcolonialism, feminism and religious discourse. Routledge: NewYork and London. Chapter 6.
- Haddad, Yvonne Yazbeck and John L. Esposito (eds) 1998: Islam, gender, & social change. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Jawad, H. A. Haifaa A. 1998: The rights of women in Islam : an authentic approach. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Mernissi, Fatima 1975: Beyond the veil: male-female dynamics in modern Muslim society. Cambridge, Mass: Schenkman Pub. Co. New York.
- Mernissi, Fatima, 1991: Women and Islam : an historical and theological enquiry. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Mernissi, Fatima 1996: Women's rebellion & Islamic memory. Atlantic Highlands. N.J: Zed Books.
- Mir-Hosseini, Ziba 1993: Marriage on trial : a study of Islamic family law : Iran and Morocco compared. London: Tauris.
- Mir-Hosseini, Ziba 1999: Islam and gender: the religious debate in contemporary Iran. Princeton, N.J. Chichester: Princeton University Press.
- Roald, Anne Sofie 2001: Women in Islam : the Western experience. London: Routledge
- Roded, Ruth (ed) 1999 : Women in Islam and the Middle East: a reader. London: I.B.Tauris.
- Yamani, Mai (ed) 1996: Feminism and Islam : legal and literary perspectives. Reading: Ithaca Press for Centre of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
Asian Religious Traditions
- Bacchetta, Paola 1993: All Our Goddesses Are Armed: Religion, Resistance, and Revenge in the Life of a Militant Hindu Nationalist Woman. Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars, Vol. 25, 1993.
- Boucher, Sandy 1993: Turning the wheel : American women creating the new Buddhism. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Coburn, Thomas B. 1984: Dev+ -m h tmya : the crystallization of the goddess tradition. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.
- Vidya Dehejia 1999 Devi, the great goddess : female divinity in South Asian art Munich London: Prestel.
- Erndl, Kathleen M. 1993: Victory to the mother : the Hindu goddess of northwest India in myth, ritual, and symbol. New York Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Gross, Rita M. 1993: Buddhism after patriarchy : a feminist history, analysis, and reconstruction of Buddhism. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1993.
- Gross, Rita M. 1996: Buddhism and Feminism: toward their mutual transformation. The eastern Buddhist., New Series, XIX: I.
- Hawley, 1994: Sati, the blessing and the curse : the burning of wives in India. New Yrk, Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- Kabilsingh, Chatsumarn 1991: Thai women in Buddhism Berkeley, Calif: Parallax Press.
- Kinsley, David R. David Robert 1975: The sword and the flute : K l+ and Krsna, dark visions of the terrible and the sublime in Hindu mythology Berkeley London: University of California Press.
- Kinsley, David R. David Robert 1986: Hindu goddesses : visions of the divine feminine in the Hindu religious tradition Berkeley London: University of California Press.
- Kinsley, David R. 1989 : The goddesses' mirror : visions of the divine from East and West Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Leslie, Julia 1989: The perfect wife : the orthodox Hindu woman according to the Str+ dharmapaddhati of Tryambakayajvan Delhi, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Leslie, Julia (ed) 1991: Roles and rituals for Hindu women. Rutherford: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press.
- Mani, Lata 1998: Contentious Traditions, The Debate on Sati in Colonial India. Berkeley London: University of California Press.
- Mitter, Sara S. 1991: Dharma's daughters : contemporary Indian women and Hindu culture. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
- Mookerjee, Ajit 1988: Kali : the feminine force. London: Thames and Hudson.
- Pancholi, Nirmala 1993: The role and contribution of women in the Hindu Swaminarayan sampradaya, with particular reference to the Akshar Purushottam Sanstha. [Leeds].
- Pintchman, Tracy 1994: The rise of the Goddess in the Hindu tradition. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Sen, Mala Death by fire : sati, dowry death and female infanticide in modern India (2001)
- Sharma, Arvind 1988: Sati : historical and phenomenological essays. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.
- Shaw, Miranda Eberle 1994: Passionate enlightenment: women in Tantric Buddhism. Princeton, N.J: Princeton University Press.
- Singh, Nikky-Guninder Kaur 1993: The feminine principle in the Sikh vision of the transcendent. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Tewari, Laxmi G. 1991: A splendor of worship : women's fasts, rituals, stories and art. Walpole, Mass: Riverdale.
- Tharu, Susie and K. Lalita (eds) 1993: Women writing in India : 600 B.C. to the present. Vol. 1 London: Pandora.
- Wilkinson, Sandra Margaret 1994: Young British Hindu women's interpretations of the images of womanhood in Hinduism. [Leeds].
-Willis, J 1990: Questions that won’t go away: a dialogue about women in Buddhism and Christianity. Journal of feminist studies in religion. 6: 2.
Willis, Janice D 1995 : Feminine ground : essays on women and Tibet. Ithaca, N.Y: Snow Lion.
Bancroft, Anne 1989: Weavers of wisdom : women of the twentieth century. London: Arkana.
Brown, Karen McCarthy 1991: Mama Lola: a vodou priestess in Brooklyn. Berkeley Oxford: University of California Press.
Billington, Sandra and Miranda Green (eds) 1998: The concept of the goddess. London: Routledge.
Christ, Carol P. and Judith Plaskow (eds) 1979: Womanspirit rising : a feminist reader in religion. San Francisco London: Harper & Row.
Christ, Carol P. 1995: Diving deep and surfacing : women writers on spiritual quest. Boston: Beacon Press.
Christ, Carol P. 1987: Laughter of Aphrodite : reflections on a journey to the goddess New York: Harper & Row.
Christ, Carol P. 1997: Rebirth of the goddess : finding meaning in feminist spirituality New York: Routledge.
Davidson, Hilda Ellis 1998: Roles of the northern goddess London, New York: Routledge.
Eilberg-Schwartz, H 1989: Witches of the West: Neopaganism and goddess worship as enlightenment religions. Journal of feminist studies in religion. 5:1.
Gimbutas, Marija 1982: The goddesses and gods of Old Europe, 6500-3500 BC, myths and cult images. London: Thames and Hudson.
Long, A 1992: The One and the Many: the great goddess revisited. Feminist theology. 15. pp. 13-29.
Palmer, Susan Jean 1994: Moon sisters, Krishna mothers, Rajneesh lovers : women's roles in new religions. New York: Syracuse University Press.
Reuther, Rosemary Radford 1989:Sexism and God language. In Judith Plaskow and Carol P. Christ (eds) Weaving the visions : new patterns in feminist spirituality.pp.151-162
Sered, Susan Starr 1994: Priestess, mother, sacred sister : religions dominated by women. New York: Oxford University Press.
Spretnak, Charlene 1982: The politics of women's spirituality : essays by founding mothers of the movement. New York: Anchor.
Stone, Merlin 1976 : The Paradise papers : the suppression of women's rites. London: Virago: Quartet Books.
Starhawk 1989: The spiral dance : a rebirth of the ancient religion of the great Goddess. New York London: Harper & Row.
Starhawk 1990: Truth or dare : encounters with power, authority, and mystery. San Francisco London: Harper & Row.
Religious Fundamentalisms and Women
-Brasher B.E. 1998: Godly women : fundamentalism and female power. Rutgers University Press.
- Brink, Judy and Joan Mencher 1997: Mixed blessings : gender and religious fundamentalism cross culturally. New York: Routledge.
- Gerami, Shahin 1996: Women and fundamentalism : Islam and Christianity. New York London: Garland Pub.
- Hawley, John Stratton (ed.) 1994: Fundamentalism and gender. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Howland, Courtney W. 1999: Religious fundamentalisms and the human rights of women. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Sahgal, Gita and Nira Yuval-Davis 1992: Refusing holy orders : women and fundamentalism in Britain. London: Virago.
Gender, Religion and Development
- Bayes, Jane H. and Nayereh Tohidi 2001: Globalization, gender and religion : the politics of women's rights in Catholic and Muslim contexts. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Bradley, Tamsin 2006: Challenging the NGOs : women, religion and western dialogues in India. IB Taurus.
- Huang, Chien-Yu Julia and Robert P. Weller 1998: Merit and Mothering: Women and Social Welfare in Taiwanese Buddhism The journal of Asian studies, Vol. 57, No. pp. 379-396
- Jackson, Cecille and Ruth Pearson 1998: ‘Introduction: Interrogating Development. Feminism, Gender and Policy’. In Jackson, Cecille and Ruth Pearson (eds.) Feminist visions of development : gender analysis and policy. London and New York: Routledge. pp. 1-16.
- Pearson, R. and Tomalin, E. (2007) ‘Intelligent Design: a Gender Sensitive Interrogation of Religion and Development’. In Clarke, Jennings and Shaw (eds) Development, civil society and faith-based organisations : bridging the sacred and the secular (Basingstoke: Palgrave) pp. 46-71
- Satha-Anand, S. 1999: Looking to Buddhism to Turn Back Prostitution in Thailand. Bauer, J. R. and Bell, D. A., editors, The East Asian challenge for human rights.Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 193-211.
- Tomalin, E. 2006: The Thai Bhikkhuni Movement and Women’s Empowerment. Gender and development 14(3): 385-397.
This list was last updated on 23/01/2019