Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
John Yorke, Into the woods : a five act journey into story (London: Penguin, 2013)
Paul Ashton, The calling card script : a writer's toolbox for stage, screen and radio (London: A&C Black, 2011).
Edward Fink, Dramatic Story Structure: A Primer for Screenwriters (London: Routledge, 2013)
- Chris Bower, et al, My Very End of the Universe (Rose Metal Press, 2014)
- Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street (Bloomsbury, 2004)
- Tara L. Masih (ed) The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction (Rose Metal Press, 2013)
- Dan Rhodes, Anthropology: And a Hundred Other Stories (Canongate, 2010)
- Jack Robinson, Days and Nights in W12 (CB Editions, 2010)
- Justin Torres, We the Animals (Granta, 2012)
- Sophie van Llewyn, Bottled Goods (Fairlight, 2018)
Further Reading on Scriptwriting:
- Aristotle, Poetics (London: Penguin Classics, 2000).
- Mieke Bal, Narratology : introduction to the theory of narrative 4th ed. (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2017)
- Craig Batty et al eds., The Palgrave Handbook of Screen Production (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2019)
- Christopher Booker, The seven basic plots : why we tell stories(London: Continuum, 2004).
- Daniel P. Calvisi, Story maps : tv drama (Act Four Screenplays, 2016)
- Marti Cook, Write to TV : out of your head and onto the screen 2nd. ed. (Routledge, 2014)
- Ken Dancyger & Jeff Rush, Alternative scriptwriting : beyond the Hollywood formula, 5th ed. (London: Focal, 2013).
- Pamela Douglas, The future of television : your guide to creating TV in the new world (Studio City, CA: Michael Wiese, 2015)
- ----- Writing the TV Drama 3rd ed. (Los Angeles: Michael Wiese, 2011)
- Will Dunne, The architecture of story : a technical guide for the dramatic writer(Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2016).
- Lajos Egri, The art of dramatic writing : its basis in the creative interpretation of human motives (Rockville, MD: Wildside Press, 2007).
- Syd Field, Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting (New York, NY: Delta, 2005).
- Yvonne Grace, Writing for Television (London: Creative Essentials, 2014)
- Jonathan Gottschall, The storytelling animal : how stories make us human (New York, NY: Mariner Books, 2013).
- Dan Gurskis, The short screenplay : your short film from concept to production: Your Short Film from Concept to Production (Independence, KY: Cengage Learning PTR, 2006)
- Jeffrey Hatcher, The art and craft of playwriting(Cincinnati, OH: Story Press, 2000).
- Annette Hill, Media Experiences: Engaging with Drama and Reality Television (Routledge, 2019)
- Christina Kallas, Inside the writers' room : conversations with American TV writers (Palgrave, 2013)
- Richard Kearney, On stories (London: Routledge, 2001)
- Anne Lamott, Bird by bird : some instructions on writing and life (Bantam, 1980)
- Neil Landau, The TV Showrunner's Roadmap (Oxford: Focal, 2014)
- Neil Landau, TV writing on demand : creating great content in the digital era (Oxford: Focal Press, 2018)
- Bob Levy, Television Development: How Hollywood Creates New TV Series (London: Routledge, 2019)
- Robert McKee, Story : substance, structure, style, and the principles of screenwriting (London: Methuen, 1999).
- Janet Neipris, A masterclass in dramatic writing : theater, film, and television (London: Routledge, 2016).
- William Rabkin, Writing the pilot : creating the series (CreateSpace, 2017)
- Linda Seger, Writing subtext : what lies beneath 2nd ed. (Studio City, CA: Michael Wiese, 2011)
- Linda Venis, Inside the room : writing television with the pros at UCLA Extension Writers' Program (Penguin, 2014)
- Christopher Vogler, The writer's journey : mythic structure for writers (Studio City, CA: Michael Wiese Productions, 2007)
- Devin Watson, Horror screenwriting : the nature of fear (Studio City, CA: Michael Wiese, 2009)
- John Yorke, Into the woods : a five act journey into story (London: Penguin, 2013) - Chapter 16 'Exposition' and Chapter 17 'Subtext', pp.152-168. OCR REQUESTED BY LIBRARY (HT 10/03/2020)
This list was last updated on 14/05/2020