Tutor information is taken from the Module Catalogue
There is no one text that covers all aspects of this course. Below are some good, introductory texts to the broad concepts we cover in I&P. More specific chapter recommendations, additional reading and websites are included week-by-week in course handouts. There are many alternative source books on general psychology, health psychology, medical sociology and abnormal psychology available from the Health Sciences Library. Consult these if you have any problems accessing the recommendations below.
Section 1. Understanding Psychological Concepts
· Nolen-Hoeksema S et al, Atkinson & Hilgard's Introduction to Psychology. 15th Edition, Cengage Learning, 2009
Section 2. Psychological and Social Sciences in health and illness.
· Barry A-M, Yuill C. Understanding the sociology of health : an introduction. 2nd Edition. (2008) Sage: UK.
· Cleland J, Cotton P. Health, behaviour and society : clinical medicine in context (2011) Learning Matters; Short Run Press, Devon: UK
· Ogden J, Health Psychology: a Textbook. 4th Edition, Open University, 2007
· Seligman MEP et al, Abnormal Psychology, 4th Edition, Norton, 2001
This list was last updated on 20/02/2012